Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Feb 8, 2013.


I am a US citizen however have lived in Japan my entire life except for 4 years in which I did college in Hawaii (was born in Ohio hence selecting Ohio). I do not have an address in the US. Do I need to pay federal tax? Up to how much can I earn before having to pay tax? (I do pay all taxes in Japan and earn less than $20,000 p.a.)


From your question it seems you did not receive any income from the US and did not live in the US during a tax year you will not have a US tax liability.

For additional information visit