Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Sep 20, 2013.


i am a teen. my father passed away. i moved away from my grandmother she was the last person that was getting social security. she stopped giving it to me when i moved . my mother left me and she never signed up for my social security can i get that money over the two years i havent got back and can i sighn up to recieve it myself


First, we are sorry to hear about your father’s passing. As you know, when a parent of a minor child dies and that parent has paid Social Security taxes long enough, the child is entitled to survivor benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA) until age 18 (or 19 if you are still in high school) or if you are disabled and were disabled before the age of 22.

If you are under 18, an adult generally receives the check for you. However, if you are a minor and independent and meet certain conditions, you may be eligible to apply for the benefits yourself. You should call the Social Security Administration 1-800-772-1213 or go into your local SS office to fill out some forms and notify them that you are independent and no longer living with a guardian. At that time, check on the status of the payments for the time when you were not living with your Grandmother or Mother.

For additional information visit