Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Sep 5, 2013.


My husband is going after me for alimony and medical for himself and his two children from a previous marriage. I added them to my coverage 2 yrs ago. He is a self employed licensed contractor. Is it likley i will be required to provide medical after the divorce for his children? Their mother has remaried and has family medical insurance through her current husband.


Unfortunately, there is no generic answer for what is likely under your circumstances because matters dealing with marriage, divorce, child support, etc. are under the jurisdiction of state and local courts. The American Bar Association (ABA) provides some very basic information about alimony and spousal support factors by state at:

Although many states have a statutory list of factors to guide the court’s decision, the ABA also notes that the court may, in its discretion, consider other factors under the particular circumstances of the case. Therefore, the best way to know what to expect in your state under your personal circumstances is to seek legal counsel.&nbsp If you can comfortably afford legal counsel, it would be a wise thing to do. Otherwise, do seek free (pro-bono) legal help. I suggest searching the internet for pro-bono legal aid in your area, contacting your local bar association or local court.

For additional information visit