Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Mar 8, 2013.


We purchased a unique home with an apartment in the basement only so my elderly mother can stay with us. If she passes are we able to to get her social security to continue to assist in paying her current portion?


Unfortunately, your Mother''s Social Security will stop the month prior to her passing. You should notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) as soon as possible after her passing, to prevent the SSA from issuing further checks, which must be returned to the Government.

I hope that this helps.

For additional information visit