Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Oct 29, 2012.


will the government help pay for college if my parents died when i was young?


While there is no federal program that automatically provides tuition assistance, there are many grants and scholarships available to children whose parents have passed away.  Start by filling out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).   This will determine if you are eligible for any federal aid.  Use the internet to further search for scholarships awarded to students with your specific circumstances.  Finally, contact the financial aid office at the school you plan to attend.  They are an invaluable resource for helping procure awards based on your needs and circumstances.

For additional information visit