Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Dec 13, 2011.


What other option do I have in obtaining funding to complete my Ph.D? I am currently at the disseration stage and no longer receive finical aid. I seriously need your advice.

Thank you,


Typical PhD funding options would include fellowships, teaching positions, teaching and/or research assistantships, and even tuition waivers.  However, as these would all be administered through your university financial aid office, I’ll assume you’ve exhausted any of these opportunities.

A quick Google search of “dissertation grants” produces hundreds of public and private awards available.  Another option is to obtain employment with a company that provides tuition reimbursement for your specific area of study.  Also, if you have any retirement funds, such as an IRA, distributions from IRA accounts before the age of 59 ½ would not be subject to the additional 10% tax if used for qualified education expenses.  Best wishes on completing your PhD.

For additional information visit