Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Aug 14, 2012.


Hello My question is: My biological father passed away within the last two years. He never had to pay child support because he got declared disabled for a brain stem injury. I looked up the record and he still owes back child support. He was on Disability and recieved money every month. Am I eligible for anything? Any money at all? He had no assets. Thank You for your time! I hope to hear back form you soon!


Had your father left behind any assets, then yes, you may have been able to collect back child support.  Unfortunately, with no estate, there is no money to pay the outstanding judgment.

If you are still a minor, you could be eligible to collect social security survivor benefits until the age of 18 (or age 19 if you are still attending high school).  Contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 to find out if you qualify.

For additional information visit