Shortcut Navigation:

My friend and I share an apartment. Will her renters policy cover my possessions?

Unfortunately, renters insurance and other homeowners insurance policies are designed for single people and traditional families. So when unrelated people share a residence (in this case, you and your friend), insurance coverage can become complicated.

Insurance laws on this topic vary from state to state, and policies vary from one company to the next. However, most insurance companies recommend that each tenant maintain a separate renters insurance policy to cover his or her personal property.

Some insurance companies do allow multiple roommates to be listed on a single renters insurance policy. If your insurance company structures policies in this way, you and your roommate can purchase one renters insurance policy to cover all of your collective possessions.