Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Aug 13, 2014.


My husband just passed away I cannot find his policy. The payment to John Hancock is taken directly from our checking account. I do have the Policy number. what do I do now?


I am very sorry for your loss.  You should be able to call Hancock (look for a contact number on their website if you do not have one) and give them your policy number.  Let them know that your husband has passed away.  They should send you a claim package; either electronically or through the mail.  You will need a certified copy of the death certificate to send them with the claim packet.  Once they receive this information, it should not take them too long to process the claim.  I believe they have up to 90 days to process the claim, but most companies process it much sooner than that.

I hope this helps, and again, I am sorry for your loss.


For additional information visit