Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on May 14, 2012.


My husband is taking a job in Australia, we are trying to find out the number of days and or times he can re-enter the US and still meet the Bona fide residce test. Also, he will be paying pre-tax superannuation, similar to our 401(k). He will also be paying out of pocket of health insurnce, can we deduct that expense?


This area of tax law is very specialized.  For general information and answers I suggest you refer to IRS publications 54 & 593.  You can find them online by doing a simple Google search.  For specific questions, I recommend that you find a CPA/PFS (  specializing in foreign earned income in your area.

For additional information visit