Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Nov 12, 2012.


I mite get a job in Canada working for a company in Germany and I''m an American citizen. How would I go about doing my taxes


Generally, as a U.S. citizen, your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income taxation, regardless of where you are living.

IRS Publication 54 is always a good reference tool for US citizens working abroad. The publication discusses special tax rules for U.S. citizens who work abroad or who have income earned in foreign countries.

IRS Publication 54 discusses several tax provisions applicable to US citizens working abroad, such as:

  • Foreign earned income exclusion
  • Foreign housing exclusion and deduction
  • Foreign moving expenses
  • Foreign taxes
  • Tax treaty benefits

That being said, please note that the income tax rules applicable to expatriates are very complex and that you would be well served by contacting a CPA/PFS who will be able to help you analyze the tax rules and whether or not you are eligible for treaty benefits. Please visit to find a CPA/PFS near you.

For additional information please visit

For additional information visit