Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Apr 19, 2014.


my daughter past away, she left 3 small children.she for 1yr and some months .can her children receive social security


Your grandchildren may be eligible to receive benefits if your daughter worked long enough in a job where she paid Social Security taxes. However, the answer depends on several factors so, unfortunately, I can't give you a definite answer.

You may want to start by visiting the Social Security Administration (SSA) web site ( and typing in "child benefit" in the search area to find out information on qualifying for benefits for children of a deceased parent. You can also call SSA at (800) 772-1213 to get more information. Finally, depending on where you live there may be an SSA office nearby where you can meet with the someone in person.

For additional information visit