Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on May 7, 2014.


My husband is planning to retire in Oct., when he turns 62. We are not financial wizards, and need help selecting a financial planner......what type should we seek out, one who charges a percentage or one who works on comission?


My personal preference would be that you engage a financial planner that will charge a fee based on a percentage of the assets under management. You don't want a financial planner that is a commissioned sales person in disguise. A fee based financial planner can work with you over a number of years and re-balance your portfolio as your needs change. Visit to find a CPA/PFS in your area.

For additional information visit