Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Nov 8, 2012.


My father died when I was 4 years old. My mother wasn''t a mother at all. Delaware county took custody of me. Was I entitled to get my fathers death benefits or was it ok that the state took them?


When a parent of a minor child dies and that parent has paid Social Security taxes long enough, the child is entitled to survivor benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA) until he is 18 (or 19 if he is still in high school). The SSA can pay the child''s survivor benefits to a representative payee, who in turn is required to use the money for the child''s care and well-being. Generally, the representative payee must complete and return a spending form each year to the SSA documenting how the survivor benefits were spent on behalf of the minor child.

For additional information please visit

For additional information visit