Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Oct 17, 2013.


My father (82) and wife need more care and a sister has volunteered to add an in-law apartment on to their house. Dad will pay, but since the house is titled in my sisters name, would this be considered a gift to her from Dad?


Not really. Remember that unless dad has a BUNCH of money any gift is non taxable to the recipient, and "deducted" from his estate tax deduction. IN most cases this is a non event

It can also be claimed that this is not a gift but rather dad''s housing expenditure.

For additional information visit