Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Sep 23, 2012.


My ex-husband has begun to receive disability payments and we have a 17 year old son who lives with me. From what I can glean from the SSA website, the payments will be sent directly to him. He is a minor child in my house. These payments will allow him to support himself if he runs away from home, wishes to become a drug dealer, or chooses to buy a huge pile of polo shirts and Jordan sneakers, rather than spend it on his basic needs. How is this possible?


Hello. You are correct - the disability payments come in his name.  That said, he is your dependent which means you decide how that money should be spent.  Since disability is paid through direct deposit, I suggest that you have payments directly deposited into your bank account or a joint checking account (jointly held with you and him).  You will then have control over how the money is spent and help ensure it is used for his benefit.  Good luck!

For additional information visit