Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Dec 19, 2012.


I was adopted and im 20 years old. i have a question about my parents both of them are over 80 years old. my father had just passed away a few months ago. Is there a way that i or my mother claim benefits? both of them received social security, however since he passed away my mothers income has now been reduce to half. Bills are becoming hard to pay for. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.


Thank you for the question. You mother can receive the higher of her Social Security Income or your father's. If his and her income were relatively the same amount, then effectively the income would be cut in half as you described. You cannot claim any of your fathers social security either since you are over 18. As far as social security goes, I'm not sure there is much you can do. If there are other assets such as a pension, IRA, annuity, life insurance, a home, etc., then you may have other options for income. Please visit to get some ideas on budgeting and money management.

For additional information visit