Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Jan 20, 2014.


I need to know if I can claim my 23 year old son as a dependent on my taxes. I will be filing either as Head of Household or Married Filing Separately. My son was in college the fall semester of 2013 and has been living at home. I provide his shelter, utilities, food, etc. while he is trying to get his feet on the ground. Thank you.


Yes, your son is your tax dependent, under the qualifying child definition. He was under the age of 24 at the end of the year, presumably enrolled or registered for at least part of five calendar months at a qualified educational institution and you provided more than half of his support. Please note that when you claim your son as your tax dependent for Federal Income tax purposes, that he cannot also claim himself as a tax dependent.

For additional information visit