Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Apr 16, 2012.


I am a 63 year old teacher ,who plans to retire this August . I have a son, who lives with me .he is 28 and was severely disabled before 3 years of age. He has PDD and is on the autism spectrum. I would like to know if he can receive my stoical security when I die? It would help me to leave this world knowing that he had an income to sustain him. thank-you. sandee


Sandee, that is a very good question.  Assuming that your son meets Social Security's definition of disabled, your son will be entitled to Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) "child's" benefits which are paid on a parent's Social Security earnings record.  Please note that he or any child disabled before the age of 22 may begin receiving SSDI child's benefits when their parent is deceased or starts receiving Social Security retirement or disability benefits.  Although you didn't mention a spouse, if your spouse is deceased or collecting benefits, perhaps your son is eligible to immediately begin collecting SSDI on your spouse's record.  Alternatively, you should apply for your son's SSDI child's benefits based on your earnings record, at the same time you apply for your own benefits in anticipation of retiring and collecting your own benefits in August.  Please call the Social Security Administration toll free at 1-800-772-1213, for further confidential answers.  Alternatively, please contact a CPA/PFS who will be able to help you - visit to find a CPA/PFS in your are.  Good luck, and I hope that this answer enables you move forward in the right direction. 

For additional information visit