Shortcut Navigation:

Question for the Money Doctors

Question submitted on Jul 4, 2012.


Hi, my husband passed away in May. We have 3 kids together. And he has 2 kids from a previous marriage and they are 16 and 17 years old. Plus they both live with me! Not there mom! Anyhow when the kids were put on this survivors check one of my step kids did live with there mom, which made her the rep payee, well not that she is living here with me ( her step mom). There mother told me that she does not want her daughters check be in my name ( her step mothers) and she said she is gonna have her check put in her daughters name only? She is only 17 still? And lives with me ( step mom) so who''s name will the check go into mine or hers? She''s 17 please help me cause her mother is driving me crazy with this, and I need to know! Thank you so much if anyone can help me on this!,,,,,,


You can complete Form TOE-250 from the Social Security Administration to have your step-daughter''s benefits payable to you.  Minor children cannot receive payments directly.  You can call  1 800 772-1213.  You may have to visit your local Social Security office to have this application processed.

One thing to note - there is a limit on the amount of benefits that a family can receive.  You should consult with Social Security to determine if your step-daughter's benefits will be reduced if they are considered in the context of the rest of your family benefits.

For additional information visit